Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

Photobucket

I am happy to report I have been extremely entertained by this picture by Tarantino, as always. Quick-witted, great dialogue, and violent as fuck. Would you expect any less?

The film is a five chapter script, which really encloses 3 different story lines. Each of which have their suits in humor, brutality, and sensitivity. Of course everything ties together for a ludicrous ending, which still has me laughing on the inside.

Christoph Waltz should be getting some serious attention from this film. I was quite intrigued by this man and did some checking up on his creds. He was born in Vienna and is 52 years old. He hasn’t done much but some tv movies even though he’s been working for 32 years. I was so impressed by his character Col. Hans Landa who not only spoke 4 languages, but managed to speak them like they were all his native language. He didn’t miss a fucking beat. It does help though that he actually does speak fluent German, English, French and Italian. Quentin pretty much centered this film around him, and it couldn’t have happened without Waltz. This guy won the best-actor prize at Cannes, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s going to win more. Landa is the best character I’ve seen come to life on screen in a while. He is so fucking disturbing and evil, yet rubs it in with his mannered sarcasm.  Not only is he evil, but also he’s intelligent, extremely intelligent. It’s utterly absurd. If everyone is not talking about him after this film then I’ll be shocked, and if you aren’t talking about him after this film you don’t know a great actor when you see one. Meaning, you are fucking dumb.

Not to discredit any of the other actors… Brad Pitt did a fine job as usual. The basterds were hilarious, even though the parts were small. I loved Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz and really wish he stayed in the film longer…The bar scene was so fucking good. Bridget von Hammersmark is such a stupid cunt! Anyway, I digress. Mélanie Laurent also has a great performance as Shosanna, who does a nice job portraying fear and hatred while remaining very calm. She made me really want to own an old school movie theater.

There were points in the dialogue that were not given subtitles but luckily I understood them…useful knowing a language…. But the parts were minimal and not important. I really enjoyed the picture painted by the variety of languages. The film was slow at times but there is always a point in which the dialogue will bring the characters to life and really benefit the film as a whole. You know Quentin, he LOVES to hear himself talk. Another not-so-subtle awesome-ness to this film is the parts where you know he is talking directly to the audience. His dialogue comes off the screen more than once and I hope you get his witty, self-indulging comments.

I would not say this film is better than Kill Bill vol. II or Pulp Fiction but it sure ranks with the best. It is a seriously well thought out and intertwined story. This is absolutely a crazy version of the Third Reich through Tarantino’s eyes, but one worth seeing! Inglourious Basterds is an extremely well written, plotted and directed film. If you don’t love this film you either have no sense of humor or no respect for Quentin Tarantino.

Arrivederci!!

 

A

1 comment:

  1. Obviously, we've already talked about this and I agree 100% with everything you said. If Waltz doesn't get a nomination by the Academy, I'll be shocked. On that note, I don't know if this is the type of film that would get a best picture nod, but I'm almost certain that Quentin will get nominated for best screenplay, with an outside shot at best director. A friend of mine said she might not see this movie because her coworkers said it wasn't that good. I took offense and told her that her coworkers have no idea what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete